Friday, April 18, 2008

Swimming

I've never been the one for testing the water. Why bother? It's always going to feel cold at first, but if you just keep moving you'll warm up fast enough. I run in -- chest lifted, knees reaching up to my chin -- at full speed, splashing everyone around me on my way. Except on the Ocean Beach there's rarely anybody to splash. I run and I dive in, head first -- to wait is only to spread out the misery. Why be miserable if you can have fun instead? I've never understood that. She is like that though. She'll take an hour going into even the steaming bath water. "Don't rush me," she says. She is not a swimmer. I am not a swimmer as well, but at least I can make a great show of it. "And why should I be a swimmer?" she says, "It's bad for your skin." Which is generally true, and it's a good question.

No comments: