Monday, April 7, 2008

A mattress

My husband went out to get the Sunday paper this morning and returned with the report that there was a man lying on the ground in front of the house next door and at the same time a few doors down the street somebody had thrown out a mattress and a box spring. "How strange, don't you think?" my husband said contemplatively. But we live in a big city where a scene like this is barely acceptable even as social commentary. I could see that my husband was trying to figure out a way of getting the man to use the facilities so randomly provided. He did not bother even to voice this thought. I finished my cup of coffee and went outside to look. The man was gone, but the mattress was still there. It is still here now or at least was a few minutes ago when I returned home from a friend's house. I examined it from all sides, both the mattress and the springs, and I have to say they are not in a very bad shape. I wonder why somebody would throw out things like that. My husband and I could definitely use something like this for our own bed. As it is, the garbage pick up on our street is not until Tuesday, so I hope somebody will get a good-night's sleep out of it yet.

No comments: