Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Knowledge

There is so much to know, Anna said. She was out of her make up already and wearing dark blue jeans and a sweater. I had waited for her outside the theatre, and I was surprised to see that I was the only one waiting at the back door for the performers. The opera played to full house, yet noone brought flowers or wanted to get an autograph. I wanted to tell Anna that she sang with such depth and color like never before. Anna took me to a coffee shop a few blocks away that stayed open late to serve the after show crowd. Even at the next table over a group of friends was discussing the performance, but nobody recognized Anna without her wig and courtly attire. I've been in school most of my life, Anna said, I read all the time. Yet I am barely competent even in the area of music, in this field that's supposed to be my own. I understand that that's how it is and always will be, but it's frustrating. She ordered chocolate mousse and I had some vanilla ice cream and we shared. Take me home, she said. I need a break.

No comments: