Friday, July 11, 2008

Critical distance

Fine, I'll succeed, I'll narrow focus
specialization is key in a global economy
The things that I am not are thus:
an arctic pilot -- that's easy, i lack the body among other prerequisites
a mathematician -- my brother gave up on it too
a programmer -- whew, call it luck
a business lady -- i tried it on, it's too narrow in the chest
a scholar of languages and literatures -- that's where we get to bone-crunching
a translator, an editor, a teacher -- that's two legs and an arm sawed off and bleeding
a writer of Russian verse -- to give up heartache?
a writer of Russian prose -- to shut my mouth?
Mother, I'm dying!

3 comments:

M♥LLY said...

Ooh, I love "Critical distance." Very spot on, very spooky!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful.

The other Olga said...

Thanks for the good words! This is my personal favorite, too :)